Oh god what have I done

ryGItSP

Just kidding. It all still works. I think I pulled close to 1000 feet of wire out of the bus.

There are three wires on the main dash/cluster connector that confuse me however – hot pink, light brown with stripes, and dark brown with stripes. I’m not sure where they go, because they were connected to the terminal strips. I have a feeling they were/are part of the ignition interlock related to the emergency exits.

Any ideas? 1998 BB TC/2000. It looks like bluebird doesn’t have wiring harness records.

I forgot to grab my wire terminal tool to pull the excess pins out of the connectors. Plus, I need some split loom and tape to clean things up a bit again. I’ll take an “after” photo tomorrow.

Roof raise lines

Which cut line is better? I prefer the straight back instead of the uh “fast back”, but the straight back will be a bit more work to pull off.

Straight back

eo5mF1Rl

“Fast” Back

awATTpZl

 

I’ve read in a few places that endcaps are not really supposed to be messed with. When looking at it closely, I see a number of things that tell me someone has gone through some thought on them:

* Rib spar connection bolts at the front and rear are brazed so the threads won’t come undone
* Front rib is doubled up
* A ton of bucked rivets connecting the skin to the cap
* Deep draw stamping to lend the sheet metal considerable strength

All of those are why I am considering the sloped rear end. When you mentioned adding a new rear cap, you gave me an idea I’m going to work on. I’ll leave the end cap and rib, as well as a small stub of the original roof. Then I can rivet on a small roof extension on the lifted section, getting me flush with the rear wall, and instead of a full rib, I’ll cut a sheet panel in the same arch and connect it together for the rear end. Then I can just rivet the bottom of that to the end cap.

Possibly clear as mud, when I have a moment I’ll sketch it out.

Windows and other bits removed.

I got a few hours this afternoon to work on the bus, here is what got done.

Windows out, anybody need some tinted ones? I’m doing the pacific northwest rain dance which is to start a project phase that gets everything wet if the weather is bad.

 

vo4wqGfl

I have the left side window frame skins out, working around the emergency door exit is interesting. I’ll need to weld in some new supports for it. I plan on keeping the door in the same position and size, so I’ll add a little skin over the top of it.

Kjff1TQl

Picture of the workspace as it currently is. I’ll probably work on the right side skins for a little while longer tonight and call it a day.

udYSn2yl

Licensing and thoughts.

I went to issaquah and I’ve already got the bus converted to a vehicle type “MH” and have plates. No inspections no nothing. I got the run-around from kent licensing, as they were demanding an emissions test (try wedging a 40′ bus in the emissions stalls!) and scale weight.

I’m considering removing all the bucked rivets from the front and back and lifting, however, I’m concerned about how much strength I can put back into the fasteners – I don’t have the tooling to put bucked rivets back in. This is why I have been considering a sloped front and rear, because the inherent strength of the “book ends” of the bus are still there.

I went to issaquah and I’ve already got the bus converted to a vehicle type “MH” and have plates. No inspections no nothing. I got the run-around from kent licensing, as they were demanding an emissions test (try wedging a 40′ bus in the emissions stalls!) and scale weight.

I am really looking forward to working on the skinning project so I can get it prepped for paint before it gets too deep into fall. I’d love to be out working evenings in the dark inside the vehicle instead of the exterior.

I am really looking forward to working on the skinning project so I can get it prepped for paint before it gets too deep into fall. I’d love to be out working evenings in the dark inside the vehicle instead of the exterior.

Ceiling panel removal progress

Got the ceiling panels removed. That’s a lot of rivets.

I think I’ve got my cut lines figured out. Sorry for the shaky ms paint line. My intention is to ramp it up to keep a neat looking “face” on the front of the bus, and on the rear, ramp down directly into the giant stamped structural member, so I’m not actually cutting or messing with it. It seems pretty seriously engineered.

I’ll have to fabricate a new solution for holding the seat belt, should be easy enough.

 

4nuJ6nj

 

IMG_20140727_143511 IMG_20140727_180956